Some of you may have seen that Ben has been wearing an eye patch recently, this is because we noticed a mild squint last year. Because his eye turns when he looks in the distance or is tired, his vision has weakened in the less frequently used eye, this is what the patch is correcting.
Yesterday we had our first check up since he has been using the patches and luckily there has been a mild improvement in his vision, unfortunately it seems the squint cannot be fixed without Strabismus surgery.
At the moment Ben’s squint isn’t too noticeable, doesn’t seem to bother him, and he is going through continuous observation. The hospital have told us that there is no time limit on when the surgery can be performed and as it is not a drastic squint they are happy to observe for now.
But what we are struggling with is the choice we have been given: have the surgery done now while he is young enough to forget it; or postpone and monitor and see if it worsens.
I’ll put my hands up and admit that the thought of surgery terrifies me! But am I being selfish postponing surgery if he won’t remember it now? I know that there is no magic way of knowing what is best, but I’m thankful for your opinions.